Comprehension/Discussion Questions for Killing Us Softly 3: Advertising’s Image of Women featuring Jean Kilbourne.
Answer the questions below while watching the video:
- Write down some of the examples Jean Kilbourne gives to highlight the place of advertising in American culture / in people’s lives.
- According to Kilbourne advertising sells more than products. What else does it sell?
- What impact does the use of computer technology have on consumers?
- According to Kilbourne how does advertising use a woman’s body and what might this lead to?
- How are African American women depicted in advertising? What is the consequence of such depiction?
- Why does advertising dismember the woman’s body?
- How does advertising use man’s body? Do men face the same consequences as women? Why? Why Not?
- How realistic is the concept of thinness in advertising? Explain briefly. What effect might this have on young girls?
- In what ways does advertising help to construct gender of women?
- How does the sexualization of kids / teenagers help the advertising industry?
- Why does Kilbourne call advertisers America’s real pornographers?
- What does the sexualization of teenagers/kids lead to?
- At the end of the lecture what conclusion does Kilbourne reach in terms of femininity and masculinity?
© Ali Nihat Eken, İstanbul, 2007
Useful link: Tough Guise: Violence, Media and the Crisis in Masculinity
BBC News: Nude and rude