- Many film critics regard “A Way of Life” as a film in the “social realist” mode. Find out the characteristics of films made in this mode, and discuss to what extent Asante’s film should be considered a film of the social realist mode.
- Why do you think Asante preferred to have a flashback at the very beginning of the film?
- How does Asante represent her protagonists? What is your reaction to the protagonists in the film? Do you blame them or do you sympathize with them? Discuss why/why not.
- What does the Hassan character represent in the film?
- What does the word “Paki” connote in the film?
- According to the film what factors have brought about racism? What other factors could have been mentioned in the film?
- Discuss the following: “Asante’s protagonists appear to be using racism as a means.”
- Comment on the ending of this film. What could it suggest?
© Ali Nihat Eken, Istanbul, May 2008