- Where does the story take place? How does the setting contribute to our understanding of the story?
- Who is the story narrated by? What clues are available for you to identify the narrative voice(s)? What impact does the narrative voice have on you? Why?
- In one of the early scenes of the film, the camera shows us Curtis emerging from the locked boot of the car into the light. How would you interpret this as a metaphor?
- What does Ricky’s gun symbolize in the film?
- What does the character Leon stand for in the film?
- What might the name “Wisdom” symbolize in the film?
- What is the function of the ice rink sequence?
- Comment on the director’s use of tower blocks and the widescreen shots of landscape.
- What does the film reveal about the concept of manhood? What does the film reveal about macho culture and its impact on the individual?
- How would you interpret the last scene in the film?
- To what extent and in what way(s) do you think Saul Dibb’s background in television documentary making might affect the film “Bullet Boy”?
- What do you think about Dibb’s depiction of violence? Are there stereotypes or clichés? Does he glamorize violence? Explain.
- How didactic do you find the film? Please explain.
- What might be the reason for using hand-held cameras in the film? What effect(s) does this create?
- Make a list of some of the themes the film explores.
© Ali Nihat Eken, Istanbul, September 2008